New global IP case data from Darts-ip reveals the most active US companies based on both US and FOREIGN patent cases.
Expand your horizons
Historically, patent case law data has been limited to the US. However, with international litigation increasing and the new availability of foreign data in Darts-ip, findings show that US companies are frequently active in patent cases outside of US borders.
Are you getting the full picture?
Darts-ip data shows that well over half (65%) of the total patent cases involving the top 10 US-based companies based on global patent disputes are happening in foreign jurisdictions (see graph below).
How can this help US attorneys?
US attorneys can leverage powerful insights about clients, competitors, opponents and industry trends by looking at patent cases world-wide. While decisions made in foreign jurisdictions do not hold precedence in US courts, looking at foreign litigation and how a patent family has stood up around the world can give users the upper-hand. Attorneys can negotiate from a position of strength and give informed opinions based on global legal and business realities, e.g. should we file invalidity cases based on prior art found in other jurisdictions; how aggressive are relevant parties in other parts of the world and in what industries.
 *This data is conservative given that the United States is one of the only jurisdictions to make complaint information available, i.e. the number could be even higher because there may be complaints in foreign jurisdictions.
See how the top four companies based on global patent disputes are distributed by country based on availability of US and foreign patent cases in Darts-ip.
- Headquarters: Cincinnati, OH
- Industry: Consumer Goods
- 93% Foreign Patent Cases
- Majority Oppositions at the EPO
- 110 judicial patent cases held in foreign courts
- Headquarters: Groton, CT
- Industry: Pharmaceuticals
- 70% Foreign Patent Cases
- 485 judicial patent cases held in foreign courts
- Headquarters: Parsippany, NJ
- Industry: Pharmaceuticals
- 32% Foreign Patent Cases
- 211 judicial patent cases held in foreign courts
- Headquarters: Cupertino, CA
- Industry: Hardware/Software/Electronics
- 14% Foreign Patent Cases
- 142 judicial patent cases held in foreign courts
The data collected for this report was extracted from the Darts-ip Patent Case Law Database (www.darts-ip.com) based on the following parameters:
- Judicial & Administrative decisions
- Availability of Complaints around the world
- Document dates: 2006-2015
- Includes all first action types: patent office disputes, infringement cases, validity, employee invention, etc.
- “Company Groups” to include entities known to be associated with the companies listed and may not include all M&A’s, divestitures, etc.
- Many foreign cases are only made available after a hearing has been scheduled. Therefore, the data doesn’t always account for foreign cases where a complaint has been filed with no subsequent action yet.
Did you know you can give our database a try?
[Button link=”http://www.darts-ip.com/try-us/”]Get your free trial[/Button]